Welcome to my woolly little blog!!



Welcome to my woolly little blog!!
You are welcome to browse, comment, ask questions,
seek advice on a knitting issue and find out more about Shetland and it's world renowned wool.
Plus, some snippets and snaps from my everyday life.
So pull up a chair and sit awhile, away from the rush of the world.
Please do not use any images from my blog as most of them, unless otherwise stated, are my own work.
You are more than welcome to read, comment and follow!

Saturday 27 August 2011

Welcome To My Knitting Blog!

I decided to start a knitting blog because I aim to work mainly in Shetland lace and other Shetland wools and I thought others may find that interesting.
But let me begin by showing you a couple of reprinted Shetland postcards depicting hardy Shetland women from generations back,walking home from the peat hill with a "kishie" of peats on their backs and knitting their Fair Isle garments or lace scarves or shawls as they go! These women were certainly a breed all their own! I can't see many women or young ones today being able or willing to tackle such chores in this way, but to them it was a way of life. It was all they knew. Their husbands would have been away at the fishing or perhaps the whaling and they were left at home to see to the children (often large families too!), making sure the winter fuel of peat was safely taken home and then they also earned a little extra money by way of knitting, or 'makkin' as it is known in Shetland.
Here are the postcards.......



My current project though is a gilet for my hubby. He chose the pattern and the wool and I should be able to finish it in the next few days. This is the pattern and wool. The colours are gorgeous and very suited to this time of year as we seem to be saying goodbye to the summer we never had and are being blown quickly into autumn!!



Once I finish the gilet I am going to start learning how to knit a Shetland shawl. I think the pattern below is the one I will use. It's beautiful and will look stunning in the natural shaded colours of Shetland wool.

What do you think?





Off now for a cup of tea and to knit a few rows on the gilet.
Please call back or start following now to keep up to date and find out more about Shetland and it's world famous wool!

No comments:

Post a Comment